Thursday 21 August 2014

Serena review

Serena by Ron Rash.


It was one of those books that you see around everywhere. Do you know what I mean? In the headline of reviews in the paper, flashing up on Amazon, coming across it at the bookshop. It was one of those books that I judged by the cover and the name. Serena. It sounded a bit simpering, a bit soft, a bit dare I say it? Girly?

Having read, loved and had my expectations completely turned around by this book, I still think the title should be changed!

Firstly, I was blown away by the opening. The way you are introduced to the brutality of the characters. Obviously, it starts with a death.

Serena Pemberton is the new wife of a successful timber merchant, who returns home, Serena by his side, to find a poor pregnant serving girl. Definitely his. The story follows Rachel and her baby and Serena and her husband whose stories clash and entangle in a series of sudden ways.

The story is told from Mr Pemberton's perspective; although I really can't remember his first name; usually I would look it up, but in this case it seems fairly poignant that his name doesn't stick. (It's George). This is interesting as it really allows the reader to follow his heartache of not being able to see his son, and how he is blind to Serena's brutality.

As the characters develop and the story unfolds you find yourself drawn into the relationships, the feelings they have for one another. And without giving too much away, the people you admire change with the turn of a page.

I would say rather than plot twists keeping me gripped, it was definitely the character twists that had me by the throat, forcing me to continue to the end. Particularly the book's name sake. As her tragic past unfolds and her ambition seems to have no bounds, the character slowly changes into something a little less savoury, and much more cruel.

An excellent read, coming soon to the big screen (Lawrence and Cooper; a match I love!). Read it. You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment