Tuesday 19 August 2014

Clean living experiment: DIY deodorant

Good morning! I have been working on a few more clean living experiments using things I actually have sitting around. I did my research of course, and this time I'm looking for a decent deodorant.

I'm a pretty active person with quite a stressful job and I exercise regularly- standard. So I needed to find a clean living deodorant that actually sticks. There is SO much information out there, it can be frustrating to sift through. Anyway most of them offer the same advice:

-baking soda (deodoriser; this can irritate sensitive skin)
-Arrowroot powder or cornstarch (thickener)
-coconut oil.

Now although I have heard tell the amazing attributes of coconut oil and that I definitely should buy some (I know!) I don't have any. Also, I really wanted deodorant today. With deodorant, toothpaste, and toilet roll I'm one of those people who forgets to buy it until I frustrate myself so much I have to go to the shop solely for that item. So, I have been out for a week, and when I could smell myself at the gym last night, I knew I needed to sort it quick.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah coconut oil, don't have any. I then saw a little post suggesting petroleum jelly- not that I have any of that either, but I do have some nivea lip balm. Now I know this stops it from being natural, yet it does use up a balm I would never get to the bottom of and has a decent solidifying texture. Also, as it's the raspberry one it adds a pretty scent.

I promise to use coconut oil and essential oils next time, this is just a little experiment to tide me over.

Here's how I did it:

-Empty lip balm into an OLD and small pan.
-Wash out the tin using hot water and a bit of washing up liquid- this is important as you need to put the mixture straight back in when it's melted and hot.
-Heat on a very low heat, slowly using a metal spoon to stir.
-Add 2 tsp of baking soda - I used a  19ml tin of lip balm, so you can use more if you need to.
-1 tsp arrowroot (could use cornstarch)
-stir until all mixed- happens very quickly- keep stirring.
-Spoon the mixture into the tin and leave to cool.

I advise washing out your pan with hot water straight away to prevent it sticking.


I make no claims of this being brilliant or even effective, but it went on easily, smells nice and is convenient. I just will make sure that I don't carry it around with me - unsuspecting friends etc...how would that go? "Er...that's deodorant..."
I think I'd just leave it to be honest.

Anyway I will let you know how it goes friends.

Have a lovely day :)


UPDATE: I have been wearing this deodorant all day, and have just returned from a very intensive gym session. I smell like roses! Or rosé! No sweaty gym smell for me! I am so happy with these results. TRY IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment