Thursday 21 August 2014

Rebecca review

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

What a book. Just, what a book. After sitting on my shelf for weeks, the exact and most beautiful copy in this image, I picked it up and read the first chapter, twice. It was so fabulous. I know that I should have realised this. Its a modern classic after all, but the small and perfectly formed cast of characters keep you guessing until the very last sentence.

Written in 1938, this book begins in the glamorous setting of Monte Carlo, where a young woman, the paid companion of a wealthy socialite meets Maxim DeWinter. Their friendship grows and they marry. She is NOT from his world, something all too obvious when she meets his household staff.

Manderlay is the house, and it takes on a character of it's own from the very first line-- "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again..."

I love the way the female protagonist's character (whose name is never told) steps into this role with such difficulty. I found myself getting incredibly frustrated with her. Her character is so seemingly flawed in this world, she can't seem to cope. Her mental state begins to deteriorate no thanks to the crazed Mrs Danvers who will never let her forget Maximus' first wife, the notorious Rebecca.

Just a stunning novel. Read it slowly, savour the descriptions and notice your reactions to the characters. Then grab the film (Olivier and Fontaine) and savour that too. It is a fantastic version by Hitchcock.



Whatever you do, just don't leave this book unread.

No comments:

Post a Comment