Sunday 22 February 2015

How to be both- progress

I have to say. I picked up this book, a little confused at the cover and a little confused at the blurb, yet loving the title. To me, 'being both' is so relevant to everyone; we take on so many guises every day.

Then I began to read. I think at around page 72-73 I really started to get it. I know, slow.  As you may or may not know dear reader, this is when the most excellent H comes into George's life. With her she brings a refreshing change to the structure and writing style which in turn changes the whole atmosphere of the tale.

Let me rewind. We are notified straight away "George's mother is dead". Although it is written in 3rd person, we see the story from George's persepective. Painful perspective. The book seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, to be her thoughts and a commentary on how she is trying to deal with such a difficult realisation. Then like I say, you get to page 73. She meets H- did I say how cool she is?

George herself expresses that "the house becomes duller" after this character leaves. It was at this point I turned to my boyfriend and said "Ooh she's clever!" (Speaking about Ali Smith of course). I really had felt the same distinct disappointment at this girl leaving at eleven after coming in to lift George, and me out of our sad stupor.

Ali Smith really, really had me relating to this character. Clearly! So much so that I had no idea she was even doing it, until I felt that sadness at George and H parting.

I can't wait to keep reading- if you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Favourite quote so far: "to spin across a shining space, knowing any moment you might get hurt, but likewise, all the same, like plus wise you might not."

No comments:

Post a Comment