Monday 9 February 2015

Reconstructing Amelia

I was reminded of this book recently when I heard about another suicide due to social media and bullying. I had almost forgotten about it, which I guess doesn't sound like I loved this book, and although yes, I'd agree that I didn't LOVE it, I certainly didn't want to stop reading it.

There are a couple of predictable plot twists, but the overall mystery really does keep you guessing.

It is a story, I guess for the modern mother of a teenage girl trying to wrap your head around what young people go through these days with such a high online presence. Perhaps that's why it wasn't completely relatable to me; not being a mother and having grown up prior to the internet takeover.

Yet it does raise the interesting and somewhat 'hot topic' of the moment- how far can we protect young people online, and how much is too much when it comes to the internet? We cannot protect them from what they might see on the internet, not can we protect them from making mistakes that literally last until the end of time (perhaps even beyond?) in cyberspace. Still no answers, but it does raise the good questions.

Read this if you liked: Gone Girl- similar element of mystery and dual narrative style.

No comments:

Post a Comment